Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Colorful Colorado!

I realized I haven't blogged in a week...mon dieu...and since nothing has happened to me in the last few days (I mean, I've been semi-sick and the highlight of my day was watching American Pie, 4, 5 and 6. Yes, there is an American Pie 4,5, and 6. They are American Pie - Band Camp, American Pie - The Naked Mile, and American Pie - Beta House. All terrible, but a good watch when you are full of snot. There is also a Cutting Edge 3, but I wasn't desperate enough to watch that.), I though I would just finally publish some blogs that never got finished. So, enjoy a recap of my summer vacation with Paige and Zach in Colorado.

********************************************************************

Tommy and I met Paige and Zach for a long weekend in Colorado. And it was awesome.

We all landed in Denver around the same time and picked up our rental car for the 3 hour drive to Steamboat (ugh!). We finally got to the resort around 11pm (Houston time) and I passed out. We got an awesome upgrade to our room - we had a separate living area with a sectional couch, microwave, etc, which was perfect for vacations with friends.

View of the ski mountain!


Friday we ate breakfast, wandered the town, went to the timeshare presentation (which is how we got the awesome upgrade - totally worth the 45 minutes), drank wine in our spacious living room while it rained, and then hit up the hot springs. They were hot. Idiotically, I was surprised by this.

Saturday, Tommy and I ran around the mountain village - i.e. it was hilly and I almost died. Then we went on a rafting trip down the Colorado. I would say rafting when it's cold outside, in cold water, is probably my least favorite thing in the world. We stopped in Yampa for one of the grosser meals I have eaten in awhile at the Royal Hotel Restaurant, where our waitress was also the cook. Yum.



The next day, we rented bikes and cycled up the mountains...which was quite challenging to us sea level dwellers. Altitude just about killed me...nevermind that I suck at biking hills. I needed about 4 more granny gears and a motor to get up most of the mountains. Fun times. Paige got stunk by a wasp which she wasn't happy about but she kept trucking along. For the record, I would have taken my ball and gone at that point...or rather, I would have sat by the edge of the road and waited for a ride, but she is hardcore and powered through it. We then got some tasty mexican (I was surprised too!) and relaxed.

Then it was time to head home. Siiigh. I miss my friends but am thankful they will be moving here in a few months!

Learnings:

I will not be buying a Dodge Charger anytime in the near future.
Someone was genius enough to name a Gas Station "Kum N Go". Seriously.
Beavers do not need aspen. Surprise!
I do not tolerate cold well. At all.
Wine and hotsprings are a dangerous match.

No comments: