Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Bragging Rights.

It's amazing how quickly your body can gain strength...especially when you start with nothing to begin with.

Two years ago, I started training for the marathon with a group called HoustonFIT ATP (Advanced Training Program). I had run with HoustonFIT for the 2 years before that and was looking for a new challenge. The ATP group meets twice a week for a VERY painful workout involving sprints, hills and weights and then a long run on Saturdays.

Every workout ended with us doing some push-ups or other core exercises...all of which I sucked at. Sucked bad. All we had to do was hold the bridge (push up position, but on your elbows) for a minute or two or whatever length of time Ashley (our coach) felt like inflicting on us. We would do the bridge, the side bridge, the back bridge, etc, etc, and eventually do some pushups or something elese equally painful.

I could never do it. I could never hold the bridge for the full time. Ever. And I could only do 8 pushups. And those 8 pushups were PAINFUL. Brutal. Ow.

Now, however, I have been doing core workouts almost every day for 2 months. I can hold the bridge on bosu balls for a minute or so, or on the ground for forever. It's amazing. I never thought it would be possible...but your body adapts.

I have also started a 100 pushup plan. The goal is to be able to do 100 push ups. I have no idea when I will EVER need this ability, but whatever. My high school reunion is in September...I must, I must, I must increase my bust!

In only 3 days of following the plan, I am now able to do 5 sets of 20 pushups. That's 100 pushups my friends. I SERIOUSLY doubt I could do more than 20 at a time, but taking a small break in between makes a huge difference. My chest is KILLING me and I can barely lift my water bottle to my lips, but it's worth it. We will see if I can do elevated feet pushups once ATP gets started...fingers crossed!!

I still can't see my 6 pack, but I'm almost certain it's there. She's just hiding. It's been awhile since she's been out in public. I think she's nervous.

I'll be Ironman/High school reunion ready in no time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! although I think working out your pecs decreases the bust. MAybe you'll have a nice side boob? I think silicon is also a nice option. :) I know this because any little bit of exercise I do, the boobs shrink up first. :( Why, o why can't the butt go first?!?!! ~natalie