Tuesday, April 21, 2009

All Good Things Must End.

I had an amazing week of training last week. I got a reasonable amount of sleep (for an insomniac), rocked every single workout, felt like a million bucks and just generally felt awesome.

But the wheels started to come off on Sunday. Tommy and I went for a long-ish run on Sunday afternoon. The plan was to do about 13-15 miles - I really needed to see how my knee was doing. So, we set out. The first mile was painful, as the first mile usually is, but as usual, you puch through mile 1 and mile 2 is generally pretty enjoyable. This was not the case on Sunday. Mile 1 was painful and mile 2 was worse. By mile 3 I was resigned to not enjoy the run, but knew I would put the miles in anyway...so I hunkered down and kept pounding the pavement.

My knee held out pretty well till mile 7 when the pain started setting in, and by mile 10, it was done. Which meant we had 3 miles to walk home...blah. Walking sucks. We had a good time, ran into some friends, but all in all, a crappy workout. A good run is one where you can space out and then all of the sudden you are at the finish line...this was not a good run.

I knew my week of workouts were in trouble. You don't have a week like I had last week without repercussions - I knew I was in for it.

My swim yesterday was blah. I did most of the workout, but I just wasn't feeling it - the guy in the lane next to me was the only thing that kept me going. I HAD to swim faster than him. Swimming is the only sport I am any good at, so I have to win pretty much all the time. Ha. I have been time trialing 400m each time I go to the pool to prepare for the sprint tri we are doing in May (it's my first sprint and I'm nervous - I am not a sprinter...at all). Lately my 400m times have been in the 6-6:30 range (a hard but not all out effort)...yesterday it was 7min and I was exhausted afterwards. Normally I am kind of out of breath but could have swum quite a bit more...yesterday I almost had to get out of the pool to catch my breath. Painful.

I do pilates everyday at lunch - it's a great way to break up the day and I don't get too sweaty so I can just come back to work. No one has commented on me smelling...yet. But yesterday, even pilates was hard. I only did about half my stuff. Everything about my body was just angry.

Then today...ugh, today. I didn't sleep well at all (typical, but last night was especially bad), but I got up and got on the bike. I had planned to take it super easy for an hour or two, to give my legs a rest, but they just weren't having it. Even my easy gear was tough...real tough. So I got off the bike and went back to bed for an hour. But then I couldn't sleep because I was so pissed off.

It's a vicious cycle.

I'm gonna do just pilates today, swim tomorrow and then, HOPEFULLY by Thursday my body will happy again and I can get back on track. I have to be in super shape to start the REAL training on June 1. 222 days till IMCOZ!!!

In other news, I'm getting my haircut today...let's all pray that my bangs have FINALLY grown out so I can give up the ridiculous teeny bopper hair do I have going on now. AND...AANNNNDDDD...it's Aggie Muster Day. If there is an A&M man in one hundred miles of you, you are expected to get together, eat a little, and live over the days you spent at the A&M College of Texas...and do that I shall.

No comments: