Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Let the Games Begin!

Triathlon season is almost here!! My first race of the season is next Sunday, and I can't wait can't wait can't wait.

My first race of the season will be the Lone Star Half Ironman race - 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and a 13.1 mile run. I am a little nervous because I don't feel prepared, but then I remember how TERRIBLY unprepared I was for my last half, and I feel better. Because at the very least, I am in waaaay better shape than I was in October, and that was the most fun race of my life. I finished that race in 6:45...which is pretty freaking slow, but considering that I hadn't worked out AT ALL (remember Ike and my house with no AC?? Yeah, that equals no workout.) the 2 months leading up the race, I was pretty impressed. And most importantly, I had an absolute freaking blast. I'm hoping to beat 6 hours this time - it may be totally unrealistic, but my fingers are crossed. I know I'm capable. My goals are: 31 min swim, 3 hour bike, and a 2:20 run. A 31 minute swim is totally attainable...as long as my wave is small and play it smart and stay out of the pack (I freak out in the pack). A 3 hour bike is pretty realistic since there are NO hills at all, but the wind might get me. Fingers are crossed for good weather! A 2:20 run isn't too outrageous, but frankly, the run is entirely dependant on how the bike goes...just keep your fingers crossed!!

I was training pretty hard up until our vacation last week - which ended up stealing about a week and half from me. I'm back on the wagon again - jet lag is behind me and I am catching up at work. Monday I just did pilates, there wasn't time or energy for anything more. Tuesday I did an hour on the bike trainer with Tommy - we watched How I Met Your Mother. Hahaha. It's still funny even when you are in pain. Then I did pilates in the afternoon. Today I wanted to swim, but my shoulder was a little angry, so I stayed home and sat on the trainer again with America's Next Top Model. OMG, I hate Sandra. Hate her. I felt pretty good today, but I could tell I had done a hard workout yesterday AND done 5 minutes of wall-sits. Ouch.

I think we are gonna do an 80 mile bike ride this weekend...which, now that I'm thinking about it, might be stupid since we have a race next weekend. Hmmmm. I probably won't work out both days this weekend though - Amanda is coming in town and we will be painting the town red at Wild West on Friday night. Yeehaw!!

I'm really excited to see how I've improved this year. I'm hoping my swimming doesn't suffer too much since I haven't really swum...at all. But it's my strong suit, so I won't worry too much. I am hoping my shoulder heals so I can at least get one swim in before the race!

After this race, I have about a month of building my base and then the real training starts...I'm terrified and excited. All at once.

Thomas is doing the sprint tri on Saturday too, so wish him luck!! He is a tri-virgin...watch out! It's addictive!!

2 comments:

Allison said...

My sprint tri is in 3 weeks!! I can't wait I'm so excited... I hope it's addicting... being addicted to exercise is waaaay better than some other options like cocaine or heroin or something :)

Good luck next weekend... I'll be rootin' for you!!!!

Love and Puppies, Christy said...

You'll be great - I am so excited for you. And yes, the races are addictive...the training isn't quite as addictive, but it's worth it! Where is your swim? Have you done any open water swimming yet?

You're gonna be grrrrrrrreat!